Hey, hey! The middle-aged lady is one step closer to middle-aged! And that is a cause for celebration. And perhaps botox.
But those are worries for later. Because, well, you know it’s a good birthday when …
• You’ve already gone to the gym and, in fact, have been done with your vigorous workout since 9:20 a.m. While engaged in said workout the owner of the gym called you a “marathon woman” due to your hardcore-ness (and maybe because it was your birthday).
• You’re wearing that black wool modish dress that you got a great job in, once, and attended a wedding in, that other time, where the bartender dubbed you “adorable.” Oh, and wore to that party where the White Rabbits were playing that night long ago.
• Someone wished you a happy birthday at midnight. Some other people have been following up quite diligently.
• You ate pomegranate seeds for breakfast, and they were good.
• You poured milk in your coffee and when it curdled, you realized it had spoiled. BUT! You didn’t drink it!
• There is a touch of spring in the air, or something.
And, perhaps the best of all: Your mother called last night to say she’s been released from the hospital and will get to do her rehab at home, where she can eat real (not hospital) food and enjoy the comfort of her own bed/clothes/couch. Yeah, that’s a pretty good birthday present, thanks. I’ll take donations from the rest a y’all.